Now that it's finally cooling off (to the mid 90s...) it's time for oatmeal in the mornings!
My son loves oatmeal. He's been a fan of the instant packets of cinnamon roll flavored oatmeal since he was very young. But those packets can get to be pretty expensive with a hungry boy around. Plus the long list of ingredients that I can't even pronounce is a big turn off.
I started making him homemade oatmeal instead, and he loves it even more.
Craisin smily face optional.
It's healthy, delicious, and probably takes 5 minutes from start to finish. Win, win, win.
Makes 1 substantial serving for a growing boy!
- 1/2 Cup Minute Oatmeal
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 packet Truvia (or 1 tsp sugar)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp brown sugar, depending on how much of a sweet tooth you have!
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon (personal preference; my son loves cinnamon, so I opt for 1 tsp)
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low to medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. It should only take 1-3 minutes.
- Cool for a minute or two (it will continue to thicken as it cools), and serve.
It's easy to adjust the amounts to make more or less. Just remember 1 part oatmeal to 2 parts milk (cow, almond, soy, your choice!)
Be sure to check here to see how I make this into instant oatmeal to speed up the process even more.